Undoing the Way We See Things Now
My Only Function is The One God Gave Me
The idea for today reaffirms your commitment to salvation. It also reminds you that have no other function but this. Both of these thoughts are obviously necessary for a total commitment. Salvation cannot be the only purpose you hold while you still cherish others.
2. The full acceptance of salvation as your only function necessarily entails two phases: the recognition of salvation as your function, and the relinquishment of all the other goals you have invented for yourself. This is the only way in which you can take you rightful place among the saviors of the world. This is the only way in which you can say and mean, “My only function is the one God gave me.” This is the only way in which you can find peace of mind.
3. Today, and for a number of days to follow, set aside ten to fifteen minutes during the day for a more sustained practice period in which you try to understand and accept what today’s idea really means. It offers you escape from all your perceived difficulties. It places the key to the door to peace, which you have closed upon yourself, in your own hand. It gives you the answer to all the searching you have done since time began.
4. Try, if possible, to undertake the daily extended practice periods at approximately the same time each day. Try also to determine this time today in advance, and then adhere to it as closely as possible. The purpose of this is to arrange your day so that you have set a time for God, as well as for all the trivial purposes and goals you will pursue. This is part of the long-range disciplinary training which your mind needs, so that the Holy Spirit can use it consistently for the purpose He shares with you.
5. For this practice period, begin by reviewing the idea for today. Then close your eyes, repeat it to yourself again, and watch your mind carefully to catch whatever thoughts cross it. At first make no attempt to concentrate on thoughts related to today’s idea. Rather, try to uncover each one that arises to interfere with it. Note each one as it comes to you with as little involvement or concern as possible, dismissing each one by telling yourself:
This thought represents a goal which is preventing me from accepting my only function.
6. After a while, interfering thoughts will become harder to find. Try, however, to continue a minute or so longer, attempting to catch a few of the idle thoughts which slipped past your attention before, but do not strain or make undue effort in doing this. Then tell yourself:
On this clean slate, let my true function be written for me.
You need not use these exact words, but try to get a sense of being willing to have your illusions of purpose be replaced by truth.
7. Finally, repeat the idea for today once more, and devote the rest of the practice period to trying to focus on its importance, the relief its acceptance will bring to you by resolving your conflicts once and for all, and the extent to which you really want salvation in spite of your own foolish notions to the contrary.
8. In the shorter practice periods, which should be undertaken at least once an hour, use this form in applying today’s idea:
My only function is the one God gave me.
I want no other and I have no other.
Sometimes close your eyes as you practice, and sometimes keep them open and look about you. It is what you see now that will be totally changed when you accept today’s idea completely.
 A Course in Miracles Complete and Annotated Edition
“My only function is the one God gave me.’ The idea for today of reaffirming my commitment to salvation being my only function and purpose, stating, it could not be while I held on to or still cherished others, prompted me to much soul searching. Knowing truly God’s purpose, His will for me is what I want above all else, because I know God loves me and wants only Good for me and through me. The word Salvation covers such a broad spectrum, I have to simplify it down to Everything good, lovely, beautiful, holy, prosperous, peaceful, joyful, loving, total complete freedom. As much as I do not want to hold on to or look at anything else, I find my mind going there to anxiousness and fear, so today I practice each time the thoughts of fear, anxiety, shame, loss, separation, I Choose to dismiss these lies and illusions of ego, remembering “this thought represents a goal which is preventing me from accepting my Only function.” I have been practicing this for some time now and will say it has gotten much more of a natural response to switch the mind set from lies and illusions to Truth, Light and Love. Today while preparing this lesson I perceived attack on myself and loved ones, was experiencing what I know to be untrue and couldn’t seem to shake it. I went to God and asked Him what I was missing, having some clue but still feeling such a heavy weight, I reached out to my study brother to pray with me in search of answers, not about someone or something else but about me and where I was missing the mark. After seeking God, collaborating with my dear brother in Christ once again I was shown to apply Love to the situation and the person, to see only love, to hear only love, to speak only love, to choose the Truth of Love to replace illusions, my only function is the one God gave me. I want no other and I have no other. In sharing this I’d like to encourage others that we don’t learn alone but together in unity of the brotherhood in Jesus. I am thankful for the reminder, teaching and encouragement of Holy Spirit. I am thankful for the Graciousness of God blessings us with brothers to learn together and encourage each other. I choose to release illusions that interfere with my God given purpose and the truth of my identity in Christ Jesus, “On this clean slate, let my true function be written.” I want no other and I have no other. God is always Good! Always faithful His Love knows No Boundaries! My God is limitless, multifaceted, therefore so am I. I am in God and God is in me, by the Grace of God I go, for Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. I Thank you for sharing with me. Walk in Love my friend!
God is Love
Love is God
I choose Love