Undoing the Way We See Things Now
Let Me Not Forget My Function.
Today’s idea is merely another way of saying, “Let me not wander into temptation.” The purpose of the world you see is to obscure your function of forgiveness, and provide you with the justification for forgetting it. It is the temptation to abandon God and His Son by taking on a physical appearance. It is this which the body’s eyes look upon.
2. Nothing the body’s eyes seem to see can be anything but a form of temptation, since this was the purpose of the body itself. Yet we have learned that the Holy Spirit has another use for all of the illusions you have made and therefor sees another purpose in them. To the Holy Spirit, the world is a place where you learn to forgive yourself what you think of as your sins. In this perception, the physical appearance of temptation becomes the spiritual recognition of salvation.
3. To review our last few lessons, your function here is to be the light of the world, a function given you by God. It is only the arrogance of the ego that leads you to question this, and it is only the fear of the ego that induces you to regard yourself as unworthy of the task assigned to you by God Himself. The world’s salvation awaits your forgiveness because through it does the Son of God escape from all illusions and all temptation. The Son of God is you.
4. Only by fulfilling the function given you by God will you be happy. That is because your function is to be happy by using the means by which happiness becomes inevitable. There is no other way. Therefore, every time you choose whether or not to fulfill your function, you are really choosing whether to be happy or not.
5. Let us remember this today. Let us remind ourselves of it in the morning and again at night, and all through the day as well. Prepare yourself in advance for all the decisions you will make today by remembering that they are all really very simple. Each one will lead to happiness or to unhappiness. Can such a simple decision really be difficult to make? Let not the form of the decision deceive you. Complexity of form does not imply complexity of content. It is impossible that any decision on earth can have a content different from just this one simple choice. Therefore, it is the only choice there is.
6. Today, then let us practice these thoughts often:
Let me not forget my function.
Let me not try to substitute mine for God’s.
Let me forgive and be happy.
7. At least once, devote ten or fifteen minutes to reflecting on this with closed eyes. Related thoughts will come to help you, if you remember the crucial importance of your function to you and to the world.
8. In the frequent applications of today’s idea to be practiced throughout the day, devote several minutes to reviewing these thoughts and then to thinking about them and about nothing else. This will be difficult, at first particularly, since you are not proficient in the mind discipline which it requires. You may need to repeat “Let me not forget my function” quite often to help you concentrate.
9. Two forms of shorter practice periods are required. At times, do the exercises with your eyes closed, trying to concentrate on the thoughts you are applying. At other times, keep your eyes open after reviewing the thoughts, and look slowly and unselectively about you, telling yourself:
This is the world it is my function to save.
 A Course in Miracles Complete and Annotated Edition
Let me not forget my function. Let me not wander into temptation. I ask Holy Spirit to help me remember who I am and what I am here for. Not to take the bait of temptation of what my physical eyes may try to deceive me with, but to quickly call on Holy Spirit to help me see with the eyes of Jesus that my function is to walk in forgiveness, to bring light to darkness, to offer salvation, to help others remember The Kingdom of God who is Love resides in each of us and all of creation. By fulfilling my function, I am choosing to be happy which is God’s will for all his children. Let me not forget my function. Let me not try to substitute mine for God’s. Let me forgive and be happy. Let me encourage others to not forget their function and choose Happiness, choose Love. I pray for all my brothers, sisters, and myself for continued guidance, wisdom, discernment, protection, and illumination of purpose in The Way, The Truth, The Life in Christ Jesus, Amen. Thank you for sharing with me. Walk in Love my friend!
God is Love
Love is God
I Choose Love