Undoing the Way We See Things Now
I am the light of the world.
Who is the light of the world except God’s Son?74 This, then, is merely a statement of the truth about yourself. It is the opposite of a statement of pride, of arrogance, or of self-deception. It does not describe the self-concept you have made. It does not refer to any of the characteristics with which you have endowed your idols. It refers to you as you were created by God. It merely states the truth.
2. To the ego, the idea for today is the epitome of self-glorification. But the ego does not understand humility, mistaking it for self-debasement. Humility consists in accepting your role in salvation and in taking no other. It is not humility to insist that you cannot be the light of the world, if that is the function God assigned to you. It is only arrogance that asserts this function cannot be for you, and arrogance is always of the ego.
3. True humility requires that you accept today’s idea because it is the Voice for God Himself which tells you it is true. This is a beginning step in accepting your real function on earth. It is a giant stride in taking your rightful place in salvation.75 It is a positive assertion of your right to be saved, and an acknowledgment of the power that is given you to save others.
4. You will want to think about this idea as often as possible today. It is the perfect answer to all illusions and therefore to all temptation. It brings all images you have made about yourself to the truth, and helps you to depart in peace,76 unburdened and certain of your purpose.
5. As many practice periods as possible should be undertaken today, though each one need not exceed a minute or so. They should begin with telling yourself:
I am the light of the world.
That is my only function.
That is why I am here.
Then think about these statements for a short while, preferably with your eyes closed if the situation permits. Let a few related thoughts come to you, and repeat the idea to yourself if your mind wanders away from the central idea.
6. Be sure both to begin and end the day with a practice period. Thus you will awaken with an acknowledgment of the truth about yourself, reinforce this acknowledgment throughout the day, and turn to sleep as you reaffirm your function and your only purpose here. The first and last practice periods may be somewhat longer than the rest, if you find them helpful and want to extend them.
7. Today’s idea goes far beyond the ego’s petty views of what you are and what your purposes is. As a bringer of salvation, this is obviously necessary. This is the first of a number of giant strides we will
take in the next few weeks. Try today to begin to build a firm foundation for these advances. You are the light of the world. God has built His plan for the salvation of His Son on you.
 A Course in Miracles Complete & Annotated Edition
Footnote Heading 73. Matthew 5:14 (RSV): “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hid.” In the Bible reference, Jesus says this to the crowd gathered to hear him speak. Here in the Course, He has us proclaim it to ourselves.
Footnote Para. 1, 74. John 8:12 (RSV): “Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” Traditionally, Jesus is God’s Son who is the light of the world. In this Course line, all of us are God’s Son.
Footnote Para. 4. 76. Luke 2:29-30, 32 (KJV) “Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation….A light to lighten the Gentiles.” This is said by Simeon, who having seen the infant Christ, the light of the world, declares that he can now die in peace. In the above passage, because we have seen that our true nature is the light of the world, we can depart in peace from our false self-images, no longer burdened with them, and walking forward certain of our purpose of saving the world.
I am the light of the world. That is my only function. That is why I am here. Paise the Lord! This is exactly what I have been wanting, and praying for many years, searching, seeking, studying, longing to be a light in the world, to be a healed healer, an instrument of God’s Peace, to bring the Good News of Salvation to a hurting world by living it out in day to day life, by word, thought and deed. Although I have desired this with all my heart, mind, and soul, I kept missing the mark. Not having knowledge, recognition or understanding of the part ego played in deception, of thought processing, vision, identity, truth in general. I am thankful for the practices and lessons of the Course to show me how. I am as God created me. I am the light of the world. That is my only function. That is why I am here. I pray for all my brothers, sisters, and myself for continued guidance, wisdom, discernment, protection and illumination of purpose in The Way, The Truth, The Live in Christ Jesus, Amen. Thank you for sharing with me. Walk in Love my friend!
God is Love
Love is God
I choose Love